Sunday, 30 August 2009

dreaming

Last night I went to Compton Verney for a Dream Director sleepover in the gallery. http://www.dreamdirector.net/
Fascinating and great fun. Twenty of us in all, we had individual pods with speakers to play gentle noises and an eyepatch which measured your eye movements to register your dream sleep and play sounds to influence your dreams.
We were lulled to sleep by a 20 minute soundscape of trains and distant echoing sounds and soft breezes, quite delightful...and we were woken to a "wake-abye" of very similar sounds. I had just woken and they lulled me back to sleep rather than waking me up! And such an elegant room to wake up in after a night of dreams about a decaying village hall, a keep fit class and a fried egg; not sure that they had anything to do with the sounds which I was told were played to me!
Luke Jerram, the artist involved, has produced some interesting work about perception and his next piece is called First Breath in which he is shining spotlights into the sky over London at houses where a baby has just been born. The lights will therefore move to a different part of the city each night. I look forward to seeing it. The image below is of preparatory work.

No comments: